Are you a multi-tasker or are you multiple tasking?

Are you a multi-tasker or are you multiple tasking?

Do you struggle with doing too many tasks at one time that you cannot seem to accomplish anything? Do you start something only to get distracted by other things and end up with several uncompleted tasks? You are not alone!! Studies show that only 2% of the population is actually good at multi-tasking. While multi-tasking can be productive, if not done correctly, it can quickly become ineffective…which is where the rest of the 98% of us land. Here are a few habits you can adopt to efficiently complete multiple tasks. You decide if you are a multi-tasker or are you multiple tasking.

Give your full attention to one task at a time.

While multi-tasking is doing more than one task at a time, it can be more beneficial to focus your full attention on one task at a time. This may seem like the exact opposite of multi-tasking but giving your full attention to one task at a time will allow you to accomplish more with fewer distractions.

However, on the flip side of this, experts argue that for more creative-minded people struggling with the task at hand it can benefit you to switch and complete the next task. Then you can go back to the previous task with a “fresh” approach. Something to think about.

Prioritize the tasks.

When reviewing your to-do list, begin by prioritizing. There are different ways of doing this. A few examples are the length of the task, the due date of the task, or the importance of the task. Be aware that priorities can change daily. What might have worked last week may not work this week.

Group similar tasks together.

If you have 2 tasks that are similar, do them one right after the other. This helps you not have to have as many mental adjustments. Less mental adjustments will allow you to work smoothly and have less stress.

Use Time Blocking.

How much time is required to complete each task needs to be taken into consideration. Plan for enough time to get each task done correctly. Once you complete a task, you need to mentally move on to the next one. Don’t waste time by thinking about a previous task when you have moved on to the next block of time.

What do you think? Are you a multi-tasker or are you multiple tasking? Let us help you figure it out!

Contact Schwab Virtual Assistant Services to help you get started.


Images courtesy of: Vector Vectors by Vecteezy

Share with your friends.

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest

related Posts

Leave a comment

Scroll to Top